Saturday, September 23, 2006

Layover in Moscow


I've just arrived in Moscow and checked into a hotel near the airport for a few hours. The embassy car wasn't at the terminal to meet me, so I sidestepped several earnest-looking young men offering taxis or "help" and found the hotel shuttle.

Unfortunately, the combination of jetlag and delays turned me into the dreaded Ugly American Tourist when I arrived at the hotel and check-in took more than 30 minutes-- with only six people waiting. I'm embarrassed to admit that I demanded help after several people cut in front of me.

I'm sorry I won't get to see anything of Moscow on this leg of the journey. It's 12:30 PM here right now (reality check: 4:30 AM in Gainesville) and I have to go back to the airport at 5 PM for my flight to Vladivostok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've yet to know what an earnest-looking russian man looks like. How ever did you scout for them?